Endangered Buildings

St. Adalbert Church on 17th St. between Paulina St. and Ashland Ave. was organized in 1874 by Bishop Thomas Foley to serve Polish families who had settled in the predominantly Bohemian district known as Pilsen. The cornerstone of the current building was laid in 1912. Photo credit: Preservation Chicago

Earlier this month, Preservation Chicago released its annual "Chicago 7" list of most endangered buildings in the city. The purpose of the Chicago 7 is to raise public awareness about the threats facing some of Chicago's most at-risk architectural treasures. This year they expanded their list to include 8 entries, in order to call attention to the exceptional threat to one of the city's most magnificent Catholic churches, Pilsen's St. Adalbert.

The Chicago Tribune reported that the "Archdiocese of Chicago announced last month that the church, built in 1912, would close. The church's distinguished twin 185-foot towers have been hidden under scaffolding for more than a year."

Preservation Chicago was organized in 2001 by a small group of individuals who wished to collectively advocate for the preservation of Chicago's historic architecture. They also advocate for the preservation of neighborhoods and urban spaces throughout the city of Chicago. They cite St. Boniface Church, Lake Shore Athletic Club and Scherer Building (1201 N. State) among their many successful efforts.